Before Leaving Your Home For The Last Time
The rental truck is loaded and ready to hit the road, or the movers have just left with your belongings. It’s just you and empty house or apartment. Now what?
One Last Check
Make sure everything is loaded before the moving van pulls away. Recheck the following places:
- closets, drawers, shelves, cabinets, and medicine cabinets
- dishwasher, oven, refrigerator, and microwave
- attic, basement, and garage
- balcony, yard, tool shed, porch, greenhouse
Any items left behind may have to be shipped. If you tell the moving company what happened and show them the receipt, they’ll likely reimburse you for the shipping charges.
Check for any property damage caused during the move. Inform the driver right away if you notice anything.
While cleaning your home isn’t a requirement, put yourself in the place of the new owners. Would you like walking into your home with dust and dirt everywhere? I think most people would appreciate moving into a clean home. It takes a huge burden off their shoulders. Cleaning also is a good way to inspect the house one last time for any items that may have been left behind.
Plus, a cleaning fee could be issued if the house isn’t in satisfactory condition. A real estate agent will usually inspect the house as soon as the moving van departs. Those who are renting won’t see their deposit unless their apartment meets the landlord’s standards. It’s in your best interest to do a good job. Ask the landlord what their expectations are.
By gathering all your boxes and items in one general area, you’ll be able to get most of your cleaning done before moving day.
If you know a friend who enjoys cleaning, then ask if they would be willing to lend a hand.
- wipe down cabinets, drawers, and counter tops
- mop hardwood floors; vacuum carpet
- sweep the basement and garage
Last But Not Least
- turn off all the lights, except one or two for security purposes
- turn off appliances
- close the blinds and draperies
- lock all doors, windows, and gates
- adjust the temperature on thermostat
- leave keys, garage door openers, and forwarding address for the new owners
- say good-bye to friendly neighbors